Not all garage doors are created equal. And which one you decide to install for your home will make a huge difference in your quality of life and you and your family’s safety.
Knowledge is power when installing a new feature for your home. Start your garage door selection and installation process armed with the right questions.
Here are the five must-ask security and up-keep questions to ask your garage door company before you move forward.
1) How Do Your Garage Doors Prevent Theft?
About 3.7 million household burglaries occur each year.
An unsafe garage door should never be a reason for you or a member of your family to become a victim of household burglary. Make sure that your garage door company goes into detail about how their doors prevent break-ins before you make a selection.
Here are some examples of safety features they might offer:
- Monitors: these can be placed anywhere in your home and monitor whether or not your garage door is open or closed, then report this information back to you. They may include an option to close the door remotely.
- Self-closing doors: a customizable system in which your door will close behind you automatically.
- Lighting options: whether these lights are inside or outside of your home is up to you, and they can work in conjunction or separately from your door opener.
2) Does Your Garage Door Company Offer Smartphone Connection?
If you like having the latest technology, this is an important question for you.
From anywhere in the world, you can open your garage door to welcome guests or ensure that it is closed to unwelcome ones with a connection to your smartphone. You may also be able to receive notifications about exactly when your garage door has been opened for maximum security (and keeping tabs on other members of your household).
3) How Can I Prolong the Life of My Garage Door?
Once you have your brand new garage door, you’ll want to keep it in great shape!
Preventive maintenance is the way to do just this. Ask your garage door company for some post-installation tips on how to maintain the integrity of your new door. They will know how best to up-keep the doors that they sell.
4) How Soon Will I Need to Replace My Garage Door?
No matter how well you take care of your garage door, it will need to be replaced at some point.
Ignoring the normal wear-and-tear and deterioration of your garage door will cause a breach in safety. Make sure that you ask your garage door company for a ballpark time length in which a replacement will be necessary.
5) How Do I Find the Right Contractor for Me?
Once you find the right garage door for you, you’ll need someone to install it.
The company that you select the door from may be able to point you in the right direction. For example, if you live in Tacoma, Washington and are using a local company, they may be able to recommend you a Tacoma based garage contractor.
Feeling full of knowledge a ready for more?
Browse around more blogs like this one.