Everyone has seen the ads on television that urge people to call an attorney if they’ve been injured in an accident. And yet, they never answer the question – when should you hire a car accident lawyer?
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, an accident lawyer could assist you with the legal problems that may follow.
Whether it involves securing compensation for your claim, or perhaps, handling the official documents. Sometimes it’s just easing the problems of the auto insurance policy. Whatever it may be, hiring an auto accident attorney could be essential for you.
We’re going to answer many of the frequently asked questions about when to hire an accident attorney.
Afterwards, you’ll know exactly when you should contact a car accident lawyer. Just so you know, this knowledge could make the difference between serious financial problems and a smooth legal process.
You Don’t Always Need an Accident Lawyer
It may be that you don’t actually need to hire an attorney. But how do you know when you do or don’t really need a lawyer? It’s easy, just think about these three things:
This means that the person at fault is clear and acknowledged by both parties.
If the injuries and damage incurred are only minor it may be considered unnecessary to hire an attorney.
No Investigation Required
If there are no extenuating circumstances, such as disagreements about the car collision, then you probably don’t need to get a lawyer. However, many people start their legal claim without the assistance of a lawyer, and then later realize they need to hire one.
When You May Need a Lawyer
There are some circumstances when you may need to seek the assistance of a personal injury attorney car accident specialist. Take a look at the following cases:
- If the liability is unclear or shared by parties.
- If the claims handler requires further information (e.g. medical records) or offers financial compensation lower than you expected or in manner you didn’t expect (e.g. structured settlement).
- If you have don’t have any experience or knowledge negotiating settlements.
- Other complications or uncertainties about your claim (e.g. loss of wages).
You Definitely Need a Lawyer
There are also circumstances when it is definitely advised that you need to get a lawyer. Here are just a few:
- If there are extenuating circumstances that you cannot prove.
- If your claim has been repeatedly (and, in your mind, falsely) denied by the insurance firm.
- If you’re not satisfied with the compensation offer.
- If you have incurred serious injuries and damages.
- If one of the injured claimants is a child.
- If the liability is (and, in your mind, falsely) disputed.
- If it’s over a year since your claim and you’re unclear about the statute of limitations (this depends on the state).
If any of the above cases applies to your claim, then you should hire a car accident lawyer before you make your legal claim. Browse our listings to find a lawyer near you!